2/05/2008

Thing 5: More Fun with Flickr

Hence my poll in the left margin: There is a month's worth of downloads here--Flock, ShoZu, 1001, Flickr Graph, Mappr, Flockr Color Picker. A person could design an online class just based upon these resources. (Don't anyone think about charging tuition!)

I tried Flickr Graph and waited for it to load images--and waited and waited. I probably won't be returning to this application. It's not quite ready for prime time. I tried one of the samples and honestly wasn't too impressed. Mappr had potential but again didn't seem to work all that well--not well enough that I'd recommend it to someone else. (For future reference, here is Webmonkey's list of the 10 best mashups.)

Clockr looks like something made by someone with too, too much time on his hands.

Spell with Flickr was fun: I could see that application as something useful for elementary teachers or art teachers or anyone else who'd like to take a creative approach to letters and words. (My name below)

m R full stop h A '\ K A shadow of my current self N S O N

Here's another:


Bead Letter H coloured card disc letter a W Takasa E Y E

Here's another sample from my own Web site.

Big Huge Labs is a nice complement to Flickr; I can see its application in any classroom, especially where graphics are a premium. It's good that these resources can be pooled in a common place--and Puzzlemaker. Having access to these tools is something of an incentive to move away from the ordinary and toward more creative ways of presenting information--and without all the work. I appreciate that it looks difficult and time-consuming to do--for the uninformed.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I love Flickr and all the fun tools, there are a lot of cool things libraries could do with some of these.

This is how I use Flickr at our library:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/csbsjulibrary/

I use the "Add Note" feature to my advantage, so just open up a picture and you'll see what I mean. There are so many other libraries using Flickr in interesting ways, too, and I'm such a visual person that this is right up my alley.

If you have any questions, I'm a 23 Things CMLE coach, so just ask!