3/12/2008

Thing 20: Libraries & Social Networks


Reference:




Tutorial





Before I started this "Thing," I was not a big fan of creating online friendships through MySpace or Facebook. Given their bad publicity and potential as "time stealers," I can understand parents' anxiety over having their kids use this kind of application. After the experience, my attitude remains in limbo: MyDistrict blocks MySpace and Facebook. I will return after trying this "Thing" free from the bonds of filter-ship. I have returned. After creating an account with Facebook, I found the entire process to be easy and straightforward, and I could envision relying on the networks for connecting with people with common interests, especially those who could also serve as resources. I also noticed that some people use it as a means for distributing surveys or studies, which raises interesting possibilities for research. But given the choice, I doubt that I will be returning to this application. Blame it on being born too early.

As for MySpace, it's a bit rougher around the edges and has something of a "dangerous" feel. Some postings are obscene and disturbing. Now I understand the desire to block it. I did visit the Denver Library on MySpace and would be curious to know whether its attempts to appeal to teens are successful. My guess is that visiting a library would be one of the last things teens would want to do on MySpace. While the Hennepin County Library example looks less professional, it also creates a friendly impression--perhaps worth revisiting. I also noticed that Meg Cabot had a page of her own, which is an interesting, personalized way to get to know an author, although the blatant self-promotion was either obnoxious or informative--depending upon your perspective. (Is it free advertising?) From this and other examples, though, it strikes me that there's a connection between the number of friends one has and the nature of the photographs posted. I'm still not a big fan, but at least now I can speak to these online applications without complete ignorance.

No comments: